Happy Sat-urday Stackers,
If you've been struggling to comprehend nostr, stop thinking about it as decentralized social media and start thinking about it as less centralized social media. Nostr makes application backends interchangeable and encourages using multiple backends simultaneously. That's it. It isn't decentralized in the way Bitcoin is. But, more importantly, it isn't centralized in the way Twitter is either. It's less centralized enough that nostriches aren't dependent on a single centralized entity and thus applications built on nostr have significantly altered incentives.
Someone I'm forced to respect once tweeted:
Unless a technology changes incentives, it merely helps history repeat faster.
Nostr changes incentives. What comes next isn't a digital utopia, but its harder to predict than you think.
Pura Vida, stackers!
- The team from Starbackr announced Current, a mobile nostr client with novel features like BIP-39 seed word backups and a built in lightning wallet.
- @richnost asks Can we take a moment to appreciate how far lightning has come? While there's still a lot of work to be done, we should be grateful for the network's progress. Bitcoin and Lightning are amazing.
- Linux maxis, @kst_winterhodler wants to know What is your favorite Linux distribution, and why?. Stackers preferences vary from the security-centric Qubes to the user-friendly Ubuntu and in between.
- The SEC's crack down on staking protocols threatens the casino-side business of many centralized exchanges (CEX). @mallardshead argues companies like Coinbase can't survive the loss of this revenue in Coinbase, Kraken, Binance-->their business models don't work anymore.
- Bitcoin Optech Newsletter #238 covers the bitcoin-dev mailing list's recent discussion around Ordinals, both moving them offchain and making it more straightforward to put them onchain, and some of the flaws in certain multiparty protocols as they relate to fees.
- Next version of Damus will let you earn sats directly on posts
- Sunday Survey: Are you on nostr?
- Riots erupt in Nigerian cities as bank policy leads to scarcity of cash
- Products vs Protocols
- The future of autonomous bots and AIs funded with Lightning
- SN release: bookmarks
- SN release: NIP-57 nostr zap support
- Stacker News is on Nostr
- Stacker News registrations are at an all-time high
- SN bounty: display image when provided an image link \ 100k sats
- 💰 Help me fix my Nostr Relay \ 1k sats
- Platform updates and a bounty for best new content \ 100k sats
- Enable NFC payments for Bitcoin Beach Wallet POS web app \ 2m sats
- Allow NoComment widget users to reply inside threads \ 100k sats
Top promoted jobs
- Chile grocery photos \ Stakwork \ Chile
- Senior Full Stack Engineer \ Synota \ Remote
- Senior Rust Applications & Frameworks Engineer \ Foundation \ Remote
- Head of Growth \ Foundation \ Remote
- IT company specialized in Quality Assurance Certification of software projects \ Spiralis \ Remote
A guy who works on Stacker News